For the 57th straight time, dating back to 1993, the Delta boys’ tennis team defeated county rival Yorktown on Tuesday night at the Tiger courts.
And the Eagles helped the community at the same time. Delta families donated 823 rolls of toilet paper in the “TP Challenge,” a competition between the two teams to see who can donate the most toilet paper to the Community Basket, a non-food bank associated with The Jar church in downtown Muncie. Yorktown families donated 452 rolls, which means Delta took home the “Golden Plunger” award!
On the courts, the Eagles (9-4 overall, 4-1 in the Hoosier Heritage Conference) took care of business quickly at many positions. Preston Shanayda and Dalton Royal won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 doubles, and Kody Vest and Jake Bilby gained quick singles victories. Vest won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 singles, and Bilby followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles.
Sophomore Aaron Elliott and freshman Tyce Dishman were extended more at No. 2 doubles, but they came away with a 6-4, 6-4 victory. They rallied from a 1-4 hole in the second set.
Yorktown picked up its lone point at No. 1 singles. Tiger senior Anson Isaacs and Eagle senior Simon Marlow had the night’s most competitive match with many long rallies, with Isaacs earning a 6-2, 6-4 victory.
Yorktown played without two experience players, Joe Stinson and Ryan Richards. If the teams meet again in the Delta Invitational on Sept. 23 or in the Delta Sectional later in the month, some matchups are likely to change.
Delta claimed a 12-1 decision in the JV match. Owen Cupp, Ben Miller, James Root and Colten Cruea won singles matches by a combined score of 32-3. Kam Swoboda and Brady Williams earned the top doubles victory with an 8-0 score.
The Eagles will play 28th-ranked Fort Wayne Carroll today (Wednesday, Sept. 13) at a neutral site, Norwell High School courts. The match is likely to begin about 5 p.m.
- Simon Marlow (D) lost to A. Isaacs (Y), 2-6, 4-6
- Kody Vest (D) def. R. Butts (Y) 6-0, 6-0
- Jake Bilby (D) def. S. Cooper (Y), 6-0, 6-2
- Dalton Royal/Preston Shanayda (D) def. J. Sarino / C. Tinch (Y), 6-0, 6-0
- Tyce Dishman / Aaron Elliott (D) def. E. Carter / T. Koss (Y), 6-4, 6-4
- Owen Cupp won 8-0
- Ben Miller won 8-0
- James Root won 8-1
- Colten Cruea won 8-2
- Kam Swoboda / Brady Williams won 8-0
- Will Kile / Caleb Hewitt won 8-5
- Ayden Mitchell / Kaden Crist won 8-2
- Jacob Williams ./ Alexander Smith won 8-2
- Jason Ogle / Hanson Heintzelman won 8-3
- James Engle / Daniel Tokar lost 6-7 (4)
- Maddox Weddle/Caden Moss won 8-6
- Justus Subler/Brandon Wagner won 8-6
- Grant Durkovich / Charlie Knapp won 8-4