The 19th annual Penguin Classic tennis tournament is cancelled for the Summer of 2020 due to the pandemic. We plan to resume the Penguin next summer.
Here are the results from the 2019 Penguin Classic!
|Boys 13-Under Singles||Dalton Royal||Micah Bryant||Nate Grunkemeyer|
|Girls 13-Under Singles||Ava Marroni||Brylee Beckley||Kelsey Vest|
|Boys 13-Under Doubles||JJ Lynch / Tyce Dishman||Kody Vest / Owen Cupp||Josh Grunkemeyer / Sam Tokar|
|Boys 14-16 Singles||Lance Holdren||Nick Gaddis||Matthew Weill vs. Jacob Daugherty|
|Boys 14-16 Doubles||Matthew Weill / Jacob Daugherty||Raphael Sabijon / Jaydon Sarino||Chase Mickley / Reid Eckert|
|Girls 14-16 Singles||Gwendolyn Clark||Saige Rinkenberger||Nicki Southerland|
|Girls 14-16 Doubles||Nicki Southerland / Gabby Knight||Maddy Robbins / Mallory Robbins||Brylee Beckley / Kelsey Vest|
|Boys 17-19 Singles||Charlie Behrman||Brandon Jackson||Will Thurlow|
|Boys 17-19 Doubles||Mason Knight / Charlie Behrman||Brandon Jackson / Tanner Southerland||Spencer Stewart / Will Thurlow|
|Girls 17-19 Singles||Isabelle Behrman||Tynan Dishman||Saige Rinkenberger|
|Girls 17-19 Doubles||Isabelle Behrman / Kayla Dubuque||Tynan Dishman / Gwendolyn Clark||Abby Williams / Abby Hartley|
|Mixed 14-Under||Dalton Royal / Nicki Southerland||Tyce Dishman / Gabby Knight||JJ Lynch / Katie Manor|
|Mixed 15-19||Mason Knight / Isabelle Behrman||Cade Brown / Tynan Dishman||Riley Windsor / Shelby McClain vs. Daniel Vencel / Abby Bamidele|
|Men's A Singles||Ignacio Poncio||Alec Robillard||Jacob Brewer vs. Tanner Southerland|
|Men's A Doubles||Grant Esposito / Alec Robillard||Jon Wegener / Jason Wegener||Jacob Brewer / Nick Bantz vs. Jaigen Glaze / Cory Evans|
|Men's B Singles||Daniel Vencel||Gil Amaral||Devin McKinley vs. Riley Windsor|
|Men's B Doubles||Derek Fenwick / Gil Amaral||Nike Schmaltz / Kyle Nelson||Jeff Chambers / Cade Brown|
|Men's 40+ Singles||Tim Cleland||Bill Wampler||Christian Haley|
|Women's A Doubles||Isabelle Behrman / Kayla Dubuque||Tynan Dishman / Gwendolyn Clark|
|Women's B Doubles||Abby Bamidele / Sara Cardemon||Maggie Hunt / Molly Hunt|
|Mixed A Doubles||Riley Worland / Kayla Dubuque||Alec Robillard / Grace Belangee||Gil Amaral / Bella Roark|
|Mixed B Doubles||Christian Haley / Madelyn Haley||Tyler Roark / Bella Roark|
Penguin 2019 Entry Form
Monday June 24, 2019 – Saturday, June 29, 2019
Location: Delta High School Courts (on SR 28 one mile east of SR 3)
We have about 120 youth and adult players in this year’s tournament! This is another great turnout! Thank you to all who have signed up for your support of our tournament.
ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION! Recent Delta HS graduate Ellie Snider will be heading to Liberia for a missions trip this coming week. She is planning to introduce tennis and teach the basics to the Liberian kids in her area. We are collecting a few old/used youth or adult rackets for her to take on the trip (we have plenty of old balls). If you have an old racket to donate for the cause, please bring it to the Penguin on Monday and put it in the collection box in the shelterhouse! Thanks!
Wednesday will be “Penguin Day” at the tournament.
We are requesting that all players competing in Wednesday matches please dress in black and white clothing only! We are planning to grill burgers and hot dogs (not penguins!) Wednesday afternoon and evening, so enjoy a free sandwich!
- Report to Delta HS courts at least 15 minutes before your scheduled match time.
- Bring one can of unopened tennis balls (Dunlop, Wilson, Penn or Prince) for each division.
- You and your opponent open one of the cans for the match; winner then takes the unopened can on to the next round; loser takes the used balls for the consolation rounds.
- Cans of Dunlop Grand Prix balls will be on sale at the tournament desk for $3 per can.
- In the event of rain, report to the Delta courts for further instructions. You also can check this website for rain updates. Please do not immediately begin calling my cell phone when it first starts to rain. It takes time to re-do the schedule when it rains; I will not have an immediate answer for your questions, and the phone calls will slow down the process. Thanks for your patience!
- Ice-cold Gatorade and bottled water will be on sale for $1 per bottle.
- Prior to your first match, be sure to pay your registration fees ($12 for singles, $10 per person for doubles/mixed doubles, $20 total for youths for all divisions) if you have not already done so.
- Matches will be 2 of 3 sets, with a 10-point match tiebreaker in lieu of a full third set.
- And finally, if you find your time below and there is a problem, please contact Tim Cleland at 765-730-3288. If you text me, please identify yourself unless you’re sure you are in my contacts. … First, try to resolve the time conflict on your end (ex: switch a work shift, etc.) … But if it’s an unsolvable problem, then contact me for help. I already have tried to schedule around the time issues that you listed on your entry forms! It is very difficult to accommodate all time issues, so please keep that in mind.