The 19th annual Penguin Classic tennis tournament was Monday, June 21, 2021 through Friday, June 25, 2021
Wednesday was “Penguin Day” at the tournament.
Players competing in Wednesday matches dressed in black and white clothing only! We grilled burgers and hot dogs (not penguins!) Wednesday afternoon and evening!
Many players got 10 or more matches in during the week — a great bargain for their $20 entry fee!
Owen Vest = 15 matches
Gabby Knight, Adam Altobella, and Eden Richey = 13 matches
Trent Alfrey = 12 matches
Dalton Royal and Aidan Landis = 11 matches
Colin McCrady = 10 matches
Maggie Hunt went undefeated with an 8-0 record in three divisions.
Dalton Royal and Gabby Knight each won 10 matches during the week.
Here are the results from the 2021 Penguin Classic!
|Coed 13-Under Singles||Tyce Dishman||Luke Atkinson||Carter Denton|
|Boys 13-Under Doubles||John Atkinson / Kaden Crist||Luke Atkinson / Tyce Dishman|
|Boys 14-16 Singles||Trent Alfrey||Dalton Royal||Micah Bryant|
|Boys 14-16 Doubles||Colin McCrady / Caleb Hewitt||Aaron Hartley / Braylon Cornwell||Corbin Windsor / Kam Swoboda|
|Girls 14-16 Singles||Gabby Knight||Iva Witter||Ava Marroni|
|Girls 14-16 Doubles||Kelsey Vest / Gabby Knight||Katie Manor / Rowan Hinds||Jenna Tuck / Rylee Webb|
|Boys 17-19 Singles||Adam Altobella||Carson Kitchen||Owen Vest|
|Boys 17-19 Doubles||Walker Boyle / Dalton Royal||James Harris / Trent Alfrey||Aidan Landis / Riley Bratton|
|Girls 17-19 Singles||Madelyn Haley, Katie Alexander, Eden Richey (all 1-1 record in round robin)|
|Girls 17-19 Doubles||Janet Wegener / Gabby Knight||Maggie Hunt / Madelyn Haley|
|Mixed 14-Under||Micah Bryant / Ava Marroni||Kody Vest / Katie Manor||Owen Cupp / Kelsey Vest|
|Mixed 15-19||Jack Fauser / Maggie Hunt||Dalton Royal / Gabby Knight||Owen Vest / Gwendolyn Clark|
|Men's A Singles||Alec Robillard||Tannon Dishman||Adam Altobella|
|A-1 Doubles||Tate Dishman / Alec Robillard||Peter Kitchen / Carson Kitchen||Tim Cleland / Tannon Dishman|
|A-2 Doubles||Jack Fauser / Maggie Hunt||Dalton Royal / Gabby Knight||Gil Amaral / Langdon Roark|
Location: Delta High School Courts (on SR 28 one mile east of SR 3)
We had about 75 youth and adult players in this year’s tournament! Thank you to all who signed up for your support of our tournament.
- Report to Delta HS courts at least 15 minutes before your scheduled match time.
- Bring one can of unopened tennis balls (Dunlop, Wilson, Penn or Prince) for each division.
- You and your opponent open one of the cans for the match; winner then takes the unopened can on to the next round; loser takes the used balls for the consolation rounds.
- Cans of Dunlop Grand Prix balls will be on sale at the tournament desk for $3 per can.
- In the event of rain, report to the Delta courts for further instructions. You also can check this website for rain updates. Please do not immediately begin calling my cell phone when it first starts to rain. It takes time to re-do the schedule when it rains; I will not have an immediate answer for your questions, and the phone calls will slow down the process. Thanks for your patience!
- Ice-cold Gatorade and bottled water will be on sale for $1 per bottle.
- Prior to your first match, be sure to pay your registration fees ($12 for singles, $10 per person for doubles/mixed doubles, $20 total for youths for all divisions) if you have not already done so.
- Matches will be 2 of 3 sets, with a 10-point match tiebreaker in lieu of a full third set.
- And finally, if you find your time below and there is a problem, please contact Tim Cleland at 765-730-3288. If you text me, please identify yourself unless you’re sure you are in my contacts. … First, try to resolve the time conflict on your end (ex: switch a work shift, etc.) … But if it’s an unsolvable problem, then contact me for help. I already have tried to schedule around the time issues that you listed on your entry forms! It is very difficult to accommodate all time issues, so please keep that in mind.