The Eagles came up a little short in a 3-2 loss to Greenfield-Central on Tuesday evening. The result meant that the Cougars took possession of the Hoosier Heritage Conference traveling trophy, a wooden tennis racket.
Junior Owen Cupp put together his best match of the season with a 7-5, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles over a Greenfield senior.
Seniors Preston Shanayda and Dalton Royal also grinded out a victory over a tough opponent, 6-4, 6-1.
The other positions went to the Cougars, who remain unbeaten on the season.
The JV team eked out a 6-5 victory to improve to 2-1 on the season. Top singles player Caleb Hewitt and top doubles team Tyce Dishman/Ben Miller were among the winners.
Delta (2-2) will face 4th-ranked Homestead in the opening round of the FW Carroll Invitational on Saturday at 9 a.m. The tournament also includes state-ranked teams Cathedral, Hamilton Southeastern and Carroll as well as non-ranked teams Canterbury, DeKalb and Concord.
Complete results of the morning match vs. Greenfield
- Simon Marlow (D) lost to C. Long (GC), 2-6, 0-6
- Kody Vest (D) lost to M. Molanphy (GC), 0-6, 0-6
- Owen Cupp (D) def. C. Robertson (GC) 7-5, 6-4
- Dalton Royal/Preston Shanayda (D) def. CJ Michalek/L. Sitzman (GC), 6-4, 6-1
- Jake Bilby/Aaron Elliott (D) lost to A. Michalek/N. Roberts (GC), 4-6, 2-6
- Caleb Hewitt won 6-4
- Colten Cruea lost 0-6
- Jason Ogle lost 0-6
- Ben Miller/Tyce Dishman won 6-3
- Brady Williams/Kaden Crist lost 4-6
- James Root/Alexander Smith won 7-5
- Kam Swoboda/Hanson Heintzelman won 6-4
- Justus Subler/Brandon Wagner won 7-6 (3)
- Maddox Weddle/Caden Moss won 6-4
- Daniel Tokar/Denys Krushenytskyi lost 1-6
- Charlie Knapp/Grant Durkovich lost 0-6