The boys’ tennis team gained a 5-0 victory at Pendleton Heights on Wednesday evening.
The Eagles improved to 6-0 in the Hoosier Heritage Conference and remained tied for first place with Mt. Vernon. Those two teams will meet Monday evening at Delta to determine the conference championship.
Against Pendleton, the Eagles won every match in straight sets, although No 1 doubles was a battle. Seniors Cade Brown and Mason Knight grinded through a tough first set before pulling away for a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Pendleton seniors Jackson McKinney and Kaleb Alumbaugh.
In singles, Tanner Southerland, Brandon Jackson and Daniel Vencel combined to win 30 games and dropped only four.
At No. 2 doubles, Jaigen Glaze and Walker Boyle played aggressively in a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
Delta, ranked 23rd in the latest state poll, improved to 12-3 for the season. The Eagles will host the Delta Invitational on Saturday, starting with an 8:45 a.m. match vs. Muncie Burris.
In the JV match yesterday, the Eagles topped Pendleton 7-5 and raised their record to 11-1 for the season.
The JV team will compete Saturday in the Fort Wayne Carroll Invitational.
1. Tanner Southerland won 6-0, 6-1
2. Brandon Jackson won 6-0, 6-2
3. Daniel Vencel won 6-0, 6-1
1. Cade Brown / Mason Knight won 7-5, 6-3
2. Jaigen Glaze / Walker Boyle won 6-0, 6-1
1. Josef Zacek won 6-2
2. Jordan Ashton won 6-1
3. Adam Altobella won 6-2
4. Heath Sprague lost 0-6
1. Riley Windsor / Devin McKinley won 6-0
2. Sam Arnold / Aidan Landis won 6-3
3. Riley Bratton / Owen Vest lost 0-6
4. Eli Arnold / Brad Shue won 6-5 (5)
5. Cooper Roach / Landon Freiburger won 6-2
6. Ross Meacham / Colin McCrady lost 1-6
7. Camden Ratliff / Mason Wrisley lost 2-6
8. Isaac Anderson / Logan Anderson lost 4-6