The 10th-ranked Eagles continued their success against arch-rival Marion by beating the Giants 4-1 at Marion on Wednesday evening.
Delta now has beaten Marion 14 out of the last 17 times that the two East Central Indiana tennis powers have met in girls’ tennis.
Delta collected three quick victories. Tynan Dishman/Maggie Manor and Janet Wegener/Sara Cardemon swept doubles, losing only one game total. And Maggie Hunt clinched the team victory with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 3 singles.
The first two singles matches went three sets.
At No. 2, Abby Bamidele gained a 7-5, 0-6, 6-4 victory. She started strong and finished strong with a bit of a detour in the middle of the match.
The No. 1 singles match lasted three hours, 45 minutes for the longest individual match of the year. The tough-minded opponents — Gwen Clark for Delta and Jaden Sebastian for Marion — ended under the lights as Sebastian outlasted cramps and emerged with a 6-7, 6-2, 6-3 victory.
Delta won the JV match 8-0.
The Eagles are 11-1 and face Pendleton Heights at 5 p.m. Thursday.
- Gwen Clark lost 7-6 (4), 2-6, 3-6
- Abby Bamidele won 7-5, 0-6, 6-4
- Maggie Hunt won 6-2, 6-3
- Tynan Dishman/Maggie Manor won 6-0, 6-0
- Sara Cardemon/Janet Wegener won 6-1, 6-0
- Gabby Knight won 6-0
- Katie Alexander won 6-2
- Hailey Conner won 6-0
- Emily Hayes won 6-1
- Mary Groover/Madelyn Haley won 6-0
- Gracie Williams / Iva Witter won 6-1
- Savanna Hickey / Laura Fowler won 6-1
- Eden Richey / Olivia Miller won 6-1