For the 129th time in its last 130 Hoosier Heritage Conference tennis matches, Delta came away with a league victory on Tuesday evening.
The latest win was a 5-0 shutout over Greenfield-Central in a match that was moved from Muncie to Greenfield at the last minute due to storms in the northern part of the state.
Delta, ranked 24th, improved to 4-0 overall and 2-0 in the HHC.
First off the court was junior Tanner Southerland, who won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Junior Brandon Jackson followed with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles and remained unbeaten. Senior Daniel Vencel won 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3 singles in the longest match of the night.
In doubles, seniors Cade Brown and Mason Knight gained a 6-2, 6-3 victory. At No. 2 doubles, senior Devin McKinley and junior Riley Windsor got a varsity match and won 6-1, 6-3 to stay unbeaten for the season.
Delta won the JV match 7-6 to move to a perfect 4-0 this fall. Josef Zacek, Adam Altobella and Owen Vest won singles matches. Jaigen Glaze/Walker Boyle, Aidan Landis/Riley Bratton, Brad Shue/Kaiden Baty, and Eli Arnold/Colin McCrady were doubles winners.
Next up for the Eagles is a home match on Wednesday evening against New Palestine, the last HHC team to beat Delta. In August 2017, the New Pal boys ended Delta’s 100-match league winning streak between boys’ and girls’ tennis. Since that match, Delta has rattled off 29 straight league wins in boys’ and girls’ tennis.
Both Delta and New Palestine are 2-0 in the league this year and share first place. Delta has beaten Shelbyville and Greenfield, while New Pal has defeated Yorktown and Greenfield.
1. Tanner Southerland won 6-0, 6-1
2. Brandon Jackson won 6-0, 6-0
3. Daniel Vencel won 6-3, 6-1
1. Mason Knight/Cade Brown won 6-2, 6-3
2. Devin McKinley/Riley Windsor won 6-1, 6-3
1. Josef Zacek won 8-0
2. Jordan Ashton lost 6-8
3. Adam Altobella won 8-1
4. Owen Vest won 8-6
5. Cooper Roach lost 0-8
1. Jaigen Glaze/Walker Boyle won 8-2
2. Sam Arnold/Landon Freiburger lost 2-8
3. Aidan Landis/Riley Bratton won 8-0
4. Brad Shue/Kaiden Baty won 7-6 (2)
5. Eli Arnold/Colin McCrady won 8-5
6. Ross Meacham/Mason Wrisley lost 1-6
7. Isaac Anderson/Logan Anderson lost 2-6
8. Heath Sprague/Camden Ratliff lost 2-8