Senior Aidan Landis was a last-minute substitute into No. 3 singles and helped the Eagles sweep Yorktown 5-0 in the Delta Sectional semifinals Thursday evening.
Regular No. 3 singles player Eli Arnold is nursing a small injury and sat out to give the injury more time to heal.
Landis stepped in and beat Yorktown’s Joe Stinson 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 for his first career varsity singles win.
Adam Altobella and Owen Vest also collected singles victories, dropping only one game total.
Walker Boyle and Dalton Royal gained their 20th win of the season against only two losses at No. 1 doubles. They won 6-2, 6-1 over Ethan Darby and Mark Avila (who filled in for a sick Rafa Sabijon).
At No. 2 doubles, Mason Wrisley and Landon Freiburger posted a 6-2, 6-1 victory over John Hicks and AJ Dunn. This was an improvement from the 6-4, 6-3 win by Delta two weeks ago in a seasonal matchup of the same players.
The Eagles (15-5) are in pursuit of their 29th consecutive sectional title in boys’ tennis. They will play Muncie Burris in the finals at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Delta courts.
Delta has won 62 consecutive sectional matches, dating back to a 1992 loss to Union City.
1. Adam Altobella (D) def. Anson Isaacs (Y), 6-0, 6-0
2. Owen Vest (D) def. Jaydon Sarino (Y), 6-0, 6-1
3. Aidan Landis (D) def. Joe Stinson (Y) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
1. Walker Boyle/Dalton Royal (D) def. Ethan Darby/Mark Avila (Y), 6-2, 6-1
2. Mason Wrisley/Landon Freiburger (D) def. John Hicks/AJ Dunn (Y) 6-2, 6-1