The Eagles won two of three matches in the power-packed Fort Wayne Carroll Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 3.
Four of Indiana’s top 14 teams were in the 8-team field.
Delta lost 0-5 to 14th-ranked Cathedral in the opening round. The Eagles then finished fifth by shutting out Mississinewa 5-0 and topping Fort Wayne Canterbury 4-1.
Fifth-ranked Hamilton Southeastern won the tournament, beating 8th-ranked Homestead in the finals. Cathedral defeated 10th-ranked Fort Wayne Carroll for third place.
Senior Owen Vest won twice, beating MIssissinewa and Canterbury by a combined score of 24-4.
Sophomore Kody Vest won twice at No. 3 singles, each in straight sets.
Dalton Royal, a junior, won a third-set tiebreak over Mississinewa’s Garrett Spencer at No. 1 singles, then dropped a third-set breaker to Canterbury’s top player. Afterward, Royal spent a few hours in a Fort Wayne hospital regaining fluids.
In doubles, Riley Bratton and Preston Shanayda won twice at No. 1 doubles and Isaac Anderson and Jake Bilby won twice at No. 2 doubles. Anderson and Bilby trailed 0-4 in the opening set against Canterbury before rallying to win 7-5, 6-3.
CATHEDRAL 5 DELTA 0
- Royal lost to Coleman (C), 1-6, 1-6
- O. Vest lost to Black (C), 0-6, 2-6
- K. Vest lost to Wojtalik (C), 0-6, 1-6
- Bratton/McCrady lost to Schneider/Schneider (C) 3-6, 2-6
- Anderson/Shanayda lost to Whelan / Reeves (C), 2-6, 2-6
DELTA 5, MISSISSINEWA 0
- Royal def. Spencer (M),6-3, 3-6, (10-4)
- O. Vest def. Lord (M), 6-0, 6-1
- K. Vest def. Smith (M), 6-4, 6-1
- Bratton/Shanayda def. Hilsamer/Kissane (M), 6-2, 6-0
- Anderson/Bilby def. Tignor/Stanley (M), 6-0, 6-1
DELTA 4, CANTERBURY 1
- Royal lost to Kulkarni (C), 4-6, 7-5, (6-10)
- O. Vest def. Sun (C), 6-1, 6-2
- K. Vest def. Bowman (C), 6-3, 6-0
- Bratton/Shanayda def. Jain / Singh (C), 6-3, 6-3
- Anderson/Bilby def. Reeves / Urberg (C), 7-5, 6-3
Marlow lost to HSE 1-6
Hewitt lost to HSE 2-6
Bilby/Miller lost to Cathedral 3-6
Elliott/Cupp lost to Carroll 3-6
Elliott/Cupp def. Misssissinewa 8-0
McCrady lost to Carroll 7-8 (4)
Miller lost to Carroll 2-6
Marlow/Hewitt def. Cathedral 6-2
Marlow/Hewitt lost to HSE 3-6
Miller lost to Canterbury 3-6