Delta won its 26th consecutive sectional championship in boys’ tennis on Saturday morning with a 5-0 victory over Muncie Burris.
It was the 50th sectional title in boys’ and girls’ tennis under Coach Tim Cleland, who won his 1,000th career varsity tennis match. Many current and former players and families turned out for a celebration after the match in the tennis shelter.
As part of the celebration, the team raised $1,300 for Briana’s Hope, an addictions recovery support group in East Central Indiana. Coach Cleland had challenged the team to raise $1,000 to mark the 1,000 victories.
The Eagles (17-3) allowed only six games against Burris. Highlighting the win was the performance of the No. 1 doubles team of Joel Ashman and Brandon Jackson, who shut out Burris’ Mason Waldron and Andrew Combs, 6-0, 6-0.
1. Tannon Dishman def. Matthew Litt, 6-0, 6-1
2. Ben Bamidele def. Tang Wenhan, 6-2, 6-0
3. Tanner Southerland def. Jack Yang, 6-2, 6-0
1. Joel Ashman/Brandon Jackson def. Andrew Combs/Mason Waldron, 6-0, 6-0
2. Mason Knight/Michael Curtis def. Adam Combs/Evan Jennerjahn, 6-0, 6-1