For the past several years, the boys’ tennis teams from Delta and Culver Academies have faced each other in hard-fought matches in either the IHSAA State Quarterfinals or in regular-season matches at Culver.
They met again Saturday afternoon, and for the first time, Culver emerged victorious.
Culver, featuring several talented new players, won 4-1 in 90-degree temperatures on the academy’s outdoor courts.
Senior Walker Boyle and sophomore Dalton Royal scored Delta’s point with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 1 doubles over Shreyas Shahkamoori (Boise, Idaho), and Dominic Hayden (Sacramento, Calif.).
Boyle and Royal are now 5-1 for the season.
At No. 1 singles, senior Adam Altobella lost 2-6, 3-6 to Constantino Oberto (Fort Wayne, Ind., who has spent the past couple years in Florida).
At No. 2 singles, junior Owen Vest lost 0-6, 1-6 to Blake Van Doren (Tulsa, Okla.).
Senior Eli Arnold extended his match into a tiebreaker in the second set before losing 0-6, 6-7(4) to Aydin Turgut (Decatur, Ill.)
At No. 2 doubles, senior Aidan Landis and sophomore Preston Shanayda fell 2-6, 1-6 to Sam Meares (Konxville, Tenn.) and William Tullis (South Bend, Ind.).
Delta claimed a 14-2 victory at the JV level.
Senior Mason Wrisley won his opening set 6-4 before struggling in the heat at No. 1 singles. He dropped the second set 2-6 and then the match was discontinued. Afterward, he battled cramps and dehydration and was helped by coaches, teammates, and the Culver trainer before later receiving IV treatment at Plymouth Hospital. He was released later Saturday night and was recovering well at home Sunday.
Junior Colin McCrady cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win in singles. Sophomore Caleb Hewitt won a tough 7-5, 7-6 (5) victory in singles. Freshman Kody Vest dropped a long battle, 6-4, 4-6 (6-10). Seniors Landon Freiburger and Logan Anderson rallied for a 5-7, 6-3 (10-6) victory at No. 1 doubles. Senior Brad Shue and junior Riley Bratton won 6-2, 6-2. (complete JV results below)
After the match, Delta’s contingent of nearly 40 players and managers and another 30+ family members enjoyed pizza and a dip in Lake Maxinkuckee, plus a massive cornhole tournament with 28 blind-draw teams.
Cornhole winners were sophomore Eli Stephenson and parent Nathan Vest. Runners-up were sophomore Dalton Royal and parent Felina Freiburger.
The Eagles (2-1) will return to conference action with a match at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Greenfield-Central. The Cougars are district-ranked and are off to a strong start this season.
- Adam Altobella (D) lost 2-6, 3-6
- Owen Vest (D) lost 0-6, 1-6
- Eli Arnold (D) lost 0-6, 6-7 (4)
- Walker Boyle / Dalton Royal (D) won 6-2, 6-3
- Aidan Landis / Preston Shanayda (D) lost 2-6, 1-6
- Mason Wrisley (D) lost 6-4, 2-6, retired heat
- Colin McCrady (D) won 6-0, 6-0
- Caleb Hewitt (D) won 7-5, 7-6 (5)
- Kody Vest (D) lost 6-4, 4-6, (6-10)
- Isaac Anderson (D) won 6-3, 6-2
- Jake Bilby (D) won 6-3, 6-1
- Logan Anderson / Landon Freiburger (D) won 5-7, 6-3, (10-6)
- Brad Shue / Riley Bratton (D) won 6-2, 6-2
- Ross Meacham / Cooper Roach (D) won 6-2, 6-0
- Eli Stephenson / Simon Marlow (D) won
- Kam Swoboda / Will Kile (D) won
- Heath Sprague / Javin Kile (D) won 8-0
- Ty Hickey / Luke Zacek (D) won
- Gaige Winchester / Jacob Roach (D) won
- Owen Cupp / Hanson Heintzleman (D) won
- James Root / James Engle (D) won