The Eagles showed lots of grit on Monday evening in a 3-2 varsity victory over New Palestine. The home Hoosier Heritage Conference match was played in 90-degree temperatures with high humidity.
The action was hot on the courts, also, as several matches featured some exciting comebacks.
Junior Owen Cupp trailed 0-3 in the first set of his match at No. 3 singles but rallied to win the set 6-4.
Senior Simon Marlow fell behind 1-4 in the second set of his match at No. 1 singles but came back to win the set 6-4 and force a third set.
Meanwhile No. 2 singles player Kody Vest and both doubles teams — Dalton Royal/Preston Shanayda and Jake Bilby/Aaron Elliott — had won their opening sets by a 6-2 score but then fell behind early in the second sets. In all three positions, the Eagles rallied to win the second sets, clinching the match for the Eagles.
Marlow dropped his third set to one of the HHC’s top returning players. Then, with the team match already determined, Cupp retired in his second set as he began to feel the effects of some cramping and it was best to not push the limits in the weather conditions.
The JV match ended in a 7-7 tie. The match of the night was at No. 4 doubles, where sophomores Alexander Smith and Daniel Tokar came back from an early deficit to win 8-6 in a match that was full of long and exciting rallies.
Other JV winners were Ben Miller and Colten Cruea in singles, and Will Kile/Kam Swoboda, Tyce Dishman/Brady Williams, James Root/Colten Cruea, and Kaden Crist/Jacob Williams n doubles.
Delta (1-0) will play against Shelbyville at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mt. Vernon courts, then travel north for a 3 p.m. match against 11th-ranked Culver Academies.
- Simon Marlow (D) lost to Moses Haynes (NP), 2-6, 6-4, 2-6
- Kody Vest (D) def. Joey McPike (NP), 6-2, 6-4
- Owen Cupp (D) lost to Brady Torkewski (NP), 6-4, 2-5 retired
- Dalton Royal/Preston Shanayda (D) def. Max Havel/Arjamond Khokar (NP), 6-2, 6-3
- Jake Bilby/Aaron Elliott (D) def. Eli Sloan/Tyler Wilsin (NP), 6-2, 6-4
- Caleb Hewitt lost 6-8
- Ben Miller won 8-1
- James Root lost 5-8
- Colten Cruea won 8-4
- Will Kile/Kam Swoboda won 8-4
- Tyce Dishman/Brady Williams won 8-1
- Kaden Crist/Jacob Williams lost 8-9
- Alexander Smith/Daniel Tokar won 8-6
- Hanson Heintzelman/Justus Subler lost 5-8
- Maddox Weddle/Jason Ogle lost 3-8
- Grant Durkovich/Caden Moss lost 1-8
- Brandon Wagner/Denys Krushenytskyi lost 4-8
- James Root/Colten Cruea won 8-0
- Kaden Crist/Jacob Williams won 8-5