Playing for the first time in 675 days, the Eagles shut out Greenfield-Central in the season-opening match on Monday evening at Greenfield.
In varsity play, 15th-ranked Delta dropped only nine games total in the five matches. Juniors Gwendolyn Clark and Maggie Hunt controlled the top two singles matches, and senior Abigail Bamidele won at No. 3 singles.
Seniors Maggie Manor and Tynan Dishman won at No. 1 doubles, and senior Sara Cardemon and sophomore Janet Wegener prevailed at No. 2 doubles. It was the first career high school match for Wegener.
The JV team won 9-5, but more importantly, all 30 girls who were available to play were able to get a match due to the cooperation of Greenfield coach Michael Turpin and his girls.
Next up for the Eagles is the Round Robin Invitational on Saturday at Delta. Our first-round opponent at 9 a.m. will be new opponent Westfield, a rapidly growing school near Carmel in Hamilton County. Westfield is the state’s 22nd-biggest high school with more than 2,300 students. In the second round, we will compete against longtime tennis rival Fort Wayne Canterbury. The final round will be against another longtime rival, West Lafayette.
- Gwendolyn Clark (D) def. Zoe Starks (GC) 6-1, 6-2
- Maggie Hunt (D) def. Brianna McConnell (GC), 6-1, 6-0
- Abigail Bamidele (D) def. Kammi Anderson (GC), 6-2, 6-0
- Tynan Dishman / Maggie Manor (D) def. Lauren Chastain/Allison Knecht (GC), 6-0, 6-1
- Sara Cardemon/Janet Wegener (D) def. Makayla Price/Leah Puckett (GC), 6-0, 6-2
- Madelyn Haley won 6-2
- Gabby Knight won 6-1
- Katie Alexander won 6-1
- Kadence Rector won 6-0
- Mary Groover/Gracie Williams won 6-0
- Iva Witter/Savanna Hickey won 6-0
- Jacy Bradley/Emily Hayes lost 3-6
- Laura Fowler/Rylen Jones won 6-0
- Eden Richey/Hannah McDowell lost 3-6
- Olivia Miller/Lizzy Thomas won 6-2
- Kadence Rector/Sarah Haney lost 3-6
- Anna Cardemon/Ava Fallon won 6-4
- Emma Landis/Jenna Whetzel lost 3-6
- Emily Woodson/Carley Kitchens lost 1-6